Hashiguchi Goyo (1880 - 1921) Commemorative Goyo Prints
Beauty Applying Lipstick, 1920
Limited Edition Commemorative Print
- With the permission of Goyo's heirs, a couple of small commemorative runs of his prints were produced by two venerable publishers - Yuyudo & Tanseisha. These reprints were produced to the same exacting standard of Goyo's originals. Expert carvers were contracted to produce the highest quality wood blocks and printers meticulously reprinted Goyo's originals with the same attention to quality and detail. These reprints are on beautiful, hand made paper printed with the same colors and mica detail as Goyo's originals. Hashiguchi Goyo, 20th century master
- Hashiguchi Goyo is one of the most famous and admired artists of 20th century Japanese woodblocks. He is sometimes referred to as the "Taisho Utamaro" as his incredible designs of women reached heights never seen again in 20th century woodblock prints. Goyo died unexpectedly in 1921 at age 41. His output was, therefore, very limited and his prints are incredibly rare. Goyo's prints were done before the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923. The devastation of the earthquake hit the woodblock print artists and publishers very hard and many prints and wood blocks were destroyed in the quake and ensuing fires. Original Goyo prints are some of the most sought after woodblock print images in the market today and sell in the $8,000 - $10,000 range and often much higher. Beauty Applying Lipstick, 1920
- Lovely Goyo print of a beauty applying lipstick in a hand held mirror. She is wearing a fine, formal kimono, her hair carefully pinned up with a decorative crest pinned on. Beautiful soft color in the woman’s kimono and fine detail set off against the soft pink background. This background treated with shimmering mica as was the original. A wonderful print displaying Goyo’s mastery of the female portrait.
- Goyo-ga Seal
- "Go" with leaf pattern Publisher
- Tanseisha Carver/Printer
- Uetani/Suzuki Image size
- 10 3/8" x 15 3/8" (+ full margins) Sheet size
- 11 3/8" x 16 1/4" Condition
- In excellent condition overall. Excellent color, perfectly emulating Goyo's original. No fading, fine linework, rivaling the first edition Goyo prints. This print has been stored only, never framed. With original presentation folder
- Each print is being sold with its original presentation folder. The prints are stored in a beautiful inner folder with paper surround and protective liner and a heavy outer folder with subject and series titles in Japanese. See example photo below for the type of folders you will get with your print.